There are times when a user needs to start backing up to a new drive due to various reasons, for example lack of free space on your old backup drive or changing over to a mapped network drive.
This can be done using the "Migrate Backup" feature in Oops!Backup.
- Open the Oops!Backup Quick Launch by clicking on the Oops!Backup tray icon
- Click on 'Choose a new Drive...' to open the Oops!Backup Change Drive Wizard.
- When you click this link, a small window will show up notifying you that the disk space required is being calculated. This window will close automatically once the calculation is complete. If you know for sure that there is enough space, click on "Proceed without calculating size" to dismiss that window and continue.
- A window showing the list of available drives will appear. If your drive is not showing make sure that it's connected and then click the Refresh Drive List link.
- Choose the drive to which you would like to start backing up. In this example we will start backing up to a removable hard drive with the drive letter "H:". Check the check-box near the drive and click the Select Backup Drive button on the bottom right of the window
- At this point a window will prompt you to choose whether you want to migrate all your backup data to the new drive or if you would rather start your backups from scratch.
- If you choose to Migrate then Oops!Backup will copy all your backed up versions to the new drive. With this option you will still be able to access and restore all your past backups.
- If you choose to Restart backup from scratch then Oops!Backup will start backing up to your new drive without copying all your old backup versions. Using this option means that you will not be able to access your old versions.
In this example we will choose to Migrate the backup data to a new hard drive.
- The Migrate option will take time since all your backup versions will be copied to the new drive. Choose the option and click on the Change Drive button to start the migration.
- If during the migration you decide to click the Stop Migrating button, the migration process will be stoped and Oops!Backup will continue archiving to the original drive. You can then go through this process at a later stage to retry the migration.
- Once the process is ready Oops!Backup will start backing up to the new drive.